theMUGGER
It's just me.














myHITS

myARCHIVE

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rise with FAITH.
27th Student Council Investiture.

"No juniors ever walk in the path of the people who set foot before them. Just as none of us had ever walked the path of our seniors.

We dare to venture new roads. We dare to create our own world. We dare to achieve."
-kS

Although it's not a very nice quote, it stuck out to me how different we are from our seniors, and how different we are from our juniors. We're good, and I doubt anyone can deny that fact, and the juniors could even be better than us.

We got our styles, and they have theirs. We succeeded, and so will they.

Sometimes I look back, and took a omniscient point of view of the 26th Student Council. If I'm not part of them, I really feel like I'm being left out of a lot of fun, laughter, and most importantly, love. It's true, that our council term is full of turmoils, unresting times. Yet, we can't say that we really just worked with each other over the past 10 months plus, we grew.

We grew.

This morning, when Mr Leow told us about how different we are from the past since we stepped into the realms of being a councillor, and I really think that we are truly different. I forgot all about how individualistic I am in the past, to how I lead and follow my peers in teamwork I've never had before. I forgot how angry I used to be, scolding vulgarities like water out from a tap, to a more controlled person, and I am sure I don't flare up enough to make my peers angry. I forgot how indecisive I was in the past, unable to make and bear the consequences of mistakes, to someone who makes decisions all the time, and stand up tall to say that I'm in the wrong.

When Mr Leow helped me wear my blazer, he told me something I haven't hear from anyone in a long time. He reminded me how I wanted to lead my life, and how I share my laughter with others. He reminded me of how close we used to be in the past, and how much fun we had then. He told me that even though sometimes I strayed from the path of a good leader, I had always been able to pick myself up and start anew. It was then I felt the true loss of a team I came to call my council family.

I cried, yes, I cried before going out of LT5 in the morning before the assembly. I cried for I did not treasure the little time I have with the 26th, and I cried for I know I could have done a lot better if I knew this day would come so soon, so much sooner than expected. I cried for all those I've shunned cold shoulders in the past, and I cried.

I cried for the day 26th have to step down from office.
I cried for today.

In the lessons, I couldn't concentrate much, and I couldn't bring myself to think that my term as a councillor is coming to an end in hours, which painfully ticked by seconds, by seconds, and till investiture arrives, I really can't bring myself to be the same as how others knew me before. I've faked laughter for those who talked to me, and I faked smiles for those who I've close working ties with.

I couldn't bear to leave, I couldn't put this down.
What if we have one more day, just one more day as councillors in office, now, would we have treasured that eternity?

Sometimes I think that the hardest part of joining a council, is that we have to leave it someday. I always like to quote "Na De Qi, Fang De Xia", "What you're able to pick up, you must be able to let go". This is one instance I couldn't let go, all the fun, the laughter, the punishments, the tears, the injuries, the sweat, the smiles, the cheers, the noise, the camps, the instructions, etc...

There's just so much which we picked up, how could we ever put all these down?? Never can I let these moments go. During investiture, I felt another pang of sadness when I realise that this journey is ending soon, and to the point that I felt like I could have sat there, in that chair, for all ages to pass. It hit me, when Mr Leow played moments, the song we sang, the song we loved, and love. I held back the tears which welled up in my eyes, and sang the song as though there is nothing special about it. How can it not be special?? This is the song that followed us from the start of our council term, the song we sang together everywhere, anytime, the song that bonded us together.

The next blow came from the removal of the council badge. Last year, I looked at my seniors took off their badges, and thought it's an easy job, and now then I realise I couldn't be more mistaken. This is the badge, the very same badge which weighed a tonne, the badge which 33 of us wore proudly. The badge which defined our role in the school. Taking it off gave me another jolt which wants the tears out of my eyes as soon as possible. Yet, I waited, I waited till the curtains closed, and quickly wipe away those tears, while waiting to handover my role to Elwin through the blazer ceremony. I looked at Elwin, and there's this feeling of reluctance of handing over the duties I had to him. Is it envy?? I'm just not sure. I put on his blazer for him, and told him that his role is tough, but not trying is tougher.

I guess I chose this phrase for a reason. I admit that my role is tough, because of all the responsibilities I've to carry. And yet, I felt more stressed when I didn't try out something which I could have done. I want him to effect changes into the council, to be one who can surpass me, or any VP in the past. I believe he can, and I believe he will. I guess it's that comforting thought which brought me to more tears while waiting to head out of the LT, to complete the ceremony.

Outside the LT, I broke down. It was all over, and there's a sense of powerlessness which makes me shiver. I couldn't say a word, I just lean on the wall and cry, for all that is done, for all that could be done, and for all that is going to become for the 26th. It's that sudden punch of loneliness, that lack of sense of belonging to the name Students' Council. Yet when I think it over, I feel like this is also a new beginning, and I begin to strengthen, and I begin to recover and cheered for the 27th afterwards.

Is there anything which can turn back time?
Is there any way to relive the past?

26th Students' Council
Jurong Junior College

You're the best family anyone could ever ask for. And thank you for all the moments we spent together, the joy and laughter we shared.

These memories, we'll relieve.
We'll relive.

scribbled this at 10:19 pm by kS