theMUGGER
It's just me.














myHITS

myARCHIVE

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

English is very important.

I often see merchants online and everywhere, using poor english to try to sell or buy things and using poor english, not only did they not make the deals possible, but oftern get humiliated by the people around them.

And I don't deny, I'm one of the people who laughs at these people. It's funny to see messages from a person trying to buy in second hand handphones, using a starting phrase such as " BUY BACK ALL HANDPHONES TELL ME YOU R MODEL AND I WILL GIVE U A PRICE. CASH WILL BE DELIVERED TO YOUR PLACE AND TIME.DAMAGED IS ALSO ACCEPTED.". I'd say that I'm a model, how much for me in this case?

Misuse of a language can lead to all sorts of problems, everywhere, all the time. I often heard teachers give a wrong phrasing of a simple set of instructions, something which goes by the sentence, "Alright, now I need you to take out your calculator and clear your memory."

Notice anything wrong in this sentence? Of cause not, we're too used to this instructions that we always overlooked them. How can we ever clear our own memory just by using a graphic calculator? It's a laughable joke in the overseas countries when you use such language, and even to tourists who came visiting this peaceful little red dot.

Let's just say that this is a unique way we speak and write. However, I really don't think that Cambridge accepts such sentence structures, and also such improper usage of their great language. What they may do, would be a written report stating that the usage of english in Singapore itself is getting worse and worse, and to put a pun to it, what they may write would be "ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SINGAPORE IS WORSENING."

A pun, but can you see it? It's not the language itself which worsens, but rather, it's the usage of it. That may be how Cambridge laughs at us for being such a simpleton when it comes to PROPER english, after all, it does seems like countless campaigns such as the the Speak-Good-English campaign, had went to the trash bins.

I'm not criticising, but rather, analysing the words we use everyday. We are unique as most of us are bilingual or even multilingual, but we are laughable due to our complacency when it comes to mastery of both, or all, of the languages we know. Mandarin seems to slip it's way into our english conversations, while our everyday Hokkien conversations tends to include some mandarin and english too, and also, not to mention the the beautiful language of vulgarities the young generation of Singaporeans worshipped.

"Vulgarities knowest no limits." That's quite true. Whereever you go, whatever bus you take, there's always some vulgarities near you. I did an analysis once (The period when I went to library to study during my promos study break), and in a single day for 3 days, I heard the F word a whooping 40+ times on average, and out of which, I'm a 12 time repeated culprit. Guess it's either we're getting too stressed these days, or that we're really becoming more understanding of the vulgarities we speak everyday.

Language, our favourite friend. Without which we can't communication,and with it, we can create wonders with our voice, and even a simple finger can be a gesture of ultimate friendship.

scribbled this at 8:56 pm by kS