Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Don't Quit
- Betty Rich (Benedetta Naimo-LaRiccia)
When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're traveling seems all uphill,
When funds are low and debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When cares are pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must...but don't you quit.
Life is hard with it's twist and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns.
And many a person turns about,
When they might have won, had they stuck it out.
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man.
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late, when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far.
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst that you musn't quit.
Remember this? I first heard of it from my friend in seconday school days, and I forgot about it.
Then, I heard it again in shadow period, from Ivan my senior. It warms me.
Now, I recalled it. And I think many of us should read it again, for it really helped me and motivate me to work harder in times of procrastination and lacking of self discipline and motivation. Especially now in the common tests period, we really need all the focus we can have to push ourselves to the best that we can be.
It's already half over for most of us, and it's only a short while more to the end. I'm sure it'll be a fruitful week to remember, as we mark this whole week as our first examination week in JJ, and also one of the few official tests.
To strive and never rest.
Let's only rest after the worst is over.
However, the worst is always yet to come.
So when can we rest?
Pondering.
scribbled this at 11:48 pm by kS