theMUGGER
It's just me.














myHITS

myARCHIVE

Sunday, January 08, 2006

JJC Orientation Camp 2006.
Kaleidoscope of Life.
Family 2.
OG 10.

I'm in SC04,04S17, and the only person I knew is Terence Chew.

Thanks you for being such a wonderful group of people. The ice between all of us had melted in the few days spent with you guys, and I'm sure we'll soon get to be good good buddies! I really enjoyed myself alot for the past few days even though I spent most of my time with totally new people who shared common interests and who never refused a request for help or anything else.

I won't share the day-by-day incidents with all of you, but I'll share the things which really inflict a sense of excitment in me during the camp and the programmes which etched bits of happiness to form a permanent memory of a wonderous camp.

First, it's the first funny thing which happened in the morning when I reached school. I gathered together with Hei Wai and Chin Hua, and while we're getting ready to assemble in the Hall, Simon Liao(Siao Liao) came to us and asked us whether we're excited. We all gave him a not-so convincing 'yes', and then I asked him whether he knows Peter Lim. HE DOESN'T KNOW HIM! I can't believe it. Identical twins who don't know the other exists.

Anyway, the Afternoon Heats on Day 1 is fun, but it isn't really as hectic as I thought it would be. Our group is good in everything, and all of us had a desire to win, a strong one. Though we lost most of the games, and with the mystery about why we lost, we ignored the losing streak and went on with the games, cheering for the winning team after every game. As we learnt during dinner on that same day, Siao Liao came to our table and asked us about the games, he said our group is the best. We were quite confused, but he say such a thing that goes like this.

"Cheering after WINNING is NORMAL. Cheering after LOSING is CHARACTER."

It really hit me. I didn't think like this. I normally just thought that losing is a way to tell us that we're not good enough and that we're only having sportsmanship to cheer for the winning team. The simplicity of the words really inspired me, but not in a way to continue the losing streak. However, we struck up a cheer which is supposed to be a drinking cheer.

We lost yesterday,
We lost the day before,
And we're gonna lose today,
Like we never lost before.
As we are losing, happy as can be,
For we are family!
F2!!(Family 2)

Replacing the drank or drink with lost or lose, we got this cheer. Pretty proud of ourselves. Then Siao Liao went to other tables to share the losing cheer and meaning of losing with other OGs.

At night, we played Nite Games(well, when else would night games be played). It's a gigantic Snakes N Ladders game, with a hundred tasks, we ran around in a group fulfilling every task thrown at us. We hit the 98th square when the time is up. Pretty proud of ourselves, though abit sore that we can't hit the 100th since we came back with task 98 completed. Proud to be the 3rd team, after the first 2 completed the game. Thanks Jeremy(OGL) for the encouragement. He said something like:

"It's not about winning the game. What matters is working as a team, and winning as a team. Losing is okay, what matters is that we have fun. Is that okay?"

Alright!


It made me recall the times of Sports Camp and Sec 3 level camp, and Adam Khoo's and also the various stuff I've been through anywhere. That winning or losing doesn't matter, what matters is the process. And that it's better to lose as a team than win alone.

We had fun, and at the same time, we lost, and most importantly, we forged teamwork and gained wisdom.

Oh, we also had mass dance, after all, we had learnt 7 dances, though I don't really know how to dance, I enjoyed myself during mass dancing.

We also had Song Singing Session in one of the LTs. Our batch song is really nice, it's Westlife's again. This time round, it's "That's Where You Find Love" Sang along though I sucked, but at least I participated there than sat at one corner unwilling to sing.

On the second day, we had much OG time, and we also had the best outdoor activity during the camp. WORLD OF COMBAT!! We are supposed to go around the stadium and complete obstacle courses as a team while competing against the other camp. We're split into 2 camps, Family 1 2 3 in Camp David, and Family 4 5 6 in Camp Brewster, camps named after the inventor of the kaleidoscope, David Brewster.

We ran around the stadium, cheering and playing. Though we lost most of the games, we had alot of fun. We rolled in wet flour and crawled in mud, slided on soappy ground and bombed ourselves with water bombs. The nicest game is the Swimming Pool game. It's at the place of the stadium where there's a hole in the track for SteepleChase or something, a sort of race. We're supposed to fill a 1.5 litre bottle with water from that pool. Siao Liao is also there, and he sided us because Jeremy is our OGL. He asked the guys to step out of the line which is a queue to go into the pool to get water, strip half naked so the girls could take our shirts and make it wet. We had a fun time, and we emerged the winner! After that, we did a cheer in the water, I left my shirt on land, where Siao Liao picked it up and swing it around. I remembered that some shirt was left in the pool before our turn to play, he took the shirt and threw it up in the air, hitting a girl from our OG.

After all the games, Siao Liao is really high. He stood at the grand stand, wet as he could be, and threw the bottles around him like he is drunk with joy, while we stood near the track below, cheering and cheering. He really is high, a standard where even Peter Lim can't possibly be at.

Then, came that best indoor activity we had. It's the climax of the camp, it's JJ NITE. We danced and cheered with all the energy we had, we go wild with enthusiasm and all of us seemed to be high with excitment and joy. I cheered till I lost my voice, and sang songs like we never sang before. We thanked the OGLs and council and the organising committee, it's really a high for the history of JJ for all I care. Words relly can't describe that night, for those who had been there, I'm sure it's the same thoughts for them.

The next morning, we had a really touching game called E-web. One took a string, and held one end, passing the bunch to another, thanking and giving the reason why we want to pass it to the person. Soon, tears are in the OG as heartfelt words were exchanged to bond the group, forming a web of thoughts between all of us. And with a closing by Siao Liao, no camp could really beat this one. Though other camps are enjoyable, I really think that this is the best one I've had yet.

Thank you OG10, and the OGLs Hui Si, Sin Da, Sou Mun and Jeremy for being such great OGLs, showing concern for our welfare and neglecting their owns'. I'm really grateful to all of you for all that you have done for us.

Orientation Week drew to a close, and next week classes will start.

4/3ians, how are you doing? I really missed you guys, and hoped you all are enjoying yourselves as much as(or more than) I am.

Oh, before I forgot. The bomb game? Our family came up with something that sounds like this:

Don't play bomb, don't play bomb,
Only gina play with bomb!!

And Camp David came up with:

Sex bomb, sex bomb,
You're my sex bomb!!

------------------------------

Cheers we learnt.

**Beat goes Step Step Clap, Step Step Clap**
OOOOOHHHH OOOOH OOOH OOOOOH OOOOOOH, JJ! JJ!
(Echo)
Step Step Clap, Step Step Clap.

JJIANS UNITE, WE SHOW OUR MIGHT!!
(Echo)

SHOW THEM HOW WE JJSIANS FIGHT!!
(Echo)

FIGHTING IN THE SUN, FIGHTING IN THE RAIN!!
(Echo)

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT TO WIN THIS GAME!!
(Echo)

(SINGING) WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU (OOWWW)
ROCK YOU (OOWWW)
WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU (OOWWW)
ROCK YOU (OOWWW)

JJ, JJ IS THE BEST!!
WE'RE GONNA DUMP THE REST INTO THE TRASH!!
WE'RE GONNA S-C-O-R-E,
WE'RE GONNA F-I-G-H-T,
JJ, JJ IS THE BEST!!
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.

(SINGING) WE WILL WE WILL
STEP (**stamps feet) THEM LIKE A GINGERBREAD MAN
AND NEVER LET THEM STEP(**stamps feet) US BACK,
STEP STEP(**stamps feetX2) WOOOLAHLAH,
STEP STEP(**stamps feetX2) WHOOOSHH!!

------------------------------

That's just one of the many we learnt, and I'm not going to put the rest up.

Here's JJC's batch song for our batch for you guys.

That's Where You Find Love
Westlife

In your eyes, I found the greatest price
You and I could not be closer
And in your arms, is everything I want
Now I know my search is over

and I don't know where you take me
But it's exactly where I wanna be

[Chorus:]
it's where the stars line up
It's where the ocean's touch
It's in a place I've never been that feels like home
It's in the air right now
It's when you give your all, and give a little more
I've never been so sure, that's where you find love

People pass, and listen to us laugh
wishing that they had the same thing
And our friends they ask, how we made it last
I just smile and say the same thing

I'm not sure how we got here
baby I'm just glad that we got here

[Chorus:]
it's where the stars line up
It's where the ocean's touch
It's in a place I've never been that feels like home
It's in the air right now
It's when you give your all, and give a little more
I've never been so sure, that's where you find love
That's where you find love

It's where the stars line up
It's where the ocean's touch
It's in the place and everything that feels like home

It's in the air right now
It's when you give your all, and give a little more
I've never been this sure, that's where you find love

Find love
That's where you find love

scribbled this at 4:59 pm by kS