Friday, August 12, 2005
It's not unbelievable. It's not luck. I just can't imagine myself getting a B3 and a merit for Mother Tongue. Well, it first hit me as joy, while subsequently, despair. I don't know what I must do next, and I don't know where I should head. I'm at another road now, and there's two paths to take. There's no turning back once I chose a path, choices had their consequences. Great consequences.
First, I could choose not to retake the exams, yet with it, I must live with a B3 in my certificate. I would confirm my B3 in my certificate, and that it would either be a blessing, or a curse. I would have more time to study, and to catch up on my sciences and combined humanities. Yet, another, it would prove harsh should I be counting chinese into my L1R5. All in all, my thoughts for this are that I had done my best.
Another thought which surfaced, would be that if I had achieved such results, I could achieve better. It seemed as though I could still improve, provided that time permits. For this, I would have to take the prelims and the O levels, and compete with the HMT sec 3 students in the whole of Singapore, who are ALL expected to get an A1 for the paper. I can't see myself together in the same boat as them. They are the elite no matter what the situation is, and they could have easily snatched up the top 25%, adding to those who are retaking the subject even when they scored A2s or B3s. What chance do I stand? Do I really have the shot at the A1 mark? Or am I taking the paper again to show the world that I'm constant now at b3 standards? Or that it would look nicer with a distinction on the certificate and that a B3 is not what others want to see on it?
Many people had many different solutions to my problem now. Well, I had never expected myself to be in this situation. I always thought that if I got a B3, I would not retake it any longer. Yet with second thoughts upon REALLY getting a B3, I felt stuck and squeezed, as though I'm merely squeezing through a hole in the wall to seperate the people who are and are not retaking the examinations. That's not a good feeling.
I've consulted Ms Phoon, who said that she was pleased with my results, as she said my standard in around C5. However, she also say that I could do better if I try, and put in the time and effort. She told me that I had a lower probability of getting an A1, but she say that I could expect an A2. That left me stranded, as she had the many years of experience seeing the O levels fly by, that what she had said was true. Who would sit for an exam aiming for an A2?
What am I suppose to do? I've got to decide by Monday, and my decision is going to haunt me or otherwise. A blunder at this point of life is a regrettable one.
To all who got A1s, including
you, and to those who got their desired and above expectations results, congratulations and I wish all of you an enjoyable time during mother tongue lessons. Make good use of the time to study hard for the rest of the subjects. Make full use of the time. Here's a quote I just thought of : "Time is just not a constant but a variable. Vary it with you work to achieve maximum potential."-kSer
To those who got below their own expectations, and for those who need to retake the paper, I wish you all, all the best. I know for some, the results would bring tears due to their underperformance. However, this I'll say from experience. Save those tears, you'll need them to flow when you get back a distinction, to show your tremendous efforts and hardship had finally paid off. I've never cried over some stupid papers I've failed. I just tell myself that I would do better, that I was saving my energy for the last spur. To these people, this is the quote: "Running away from your setbacks are stupid as they will catch up with you again. Facing them, and you will never see them again."-kSer
scribbled this at 10:27 pm by kS